Living Planet report 2022 –– Building a ‘nature positive’ society​

Living Planet report 2022 –– Building a ‘nature positive’ society  


The report, produced jointly by the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) and Zoological Society of London, explains the interconnectedness between nature  and Climate Change, and how the decline in the natural world has left its impact on people and biodiversity. Large displacement and deaths from increasingly frequent extreme weather events, increasing food insecurity, depleted soils, lack of access to fresh water, and an increase in the spread of zoonotic diseases are a few impacts it mentions. This edition of the Living Planet Report advises people to be ‘nature positive’ by 2030, urging for transformative changes in the way we live to reduce the root cause of natural degradation. It highlights The Amazon Assessment Report 2021, developed by more than 240 scientists, on the Amazon’s current state, threats, and the urgent action needed to conserve it.

Attractive graphics and photographs explain the health and productivity of the earth, data and statistics show what the earth has lost underlining the urgency to save the ecosystem. The report uses new mapping analysis techniques to show a comprehensive picture of both the speed and the scale of changes in biodiversity and climate, and also features the new biodiversity risk maps generated for the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s Working Group 2. When governments protect 30 per cent of the world’s land, freshwater and oceans through rights-based and community-led approaches; tackle the drivers of nature loss that largely originate in the other 70 per cent; ratchet up their actions if they are collectively falling short; and commit the requisite resources for conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity, then a ‘nature positive’ world will be within reach, says the report.